As discussed in Step 3: Prepare the Home, prior to showing a home to prospective buyers and real estate agents, “For Sale By Owner” (FSBO) sellers should consider staging a home to make it more attractive to prospective buyers. When staged properly, a home will look bigger, brighter, and more inviting than an unstaged home. Although staging is more of an art form than a scientific method, Nestseller recommends the following inexpensive techniques to improve the interior of a home:
- Add stylish throw-pillows to furniture (and/or swap pillows from other rooms) to add color, texture, and new patters to add vibrancy to a room.
- Clean and organize all bookshelves, desks, cabinets, and surface areas, eliminating excess clutter to give a room a clean and fresh feel.
- Vacuum and deep-clean rugs and carpets to make a room appear brighter and more inviting.
- Swap chairs and seats from other rooms (e.g., put dining room chairs in living rooms or bed rooms or rocking chairs in a sun room) to give a room an updated look.
- Organize books on shelves by genre or color, or stack books both horizontally and vertically, to add an eye-catching feature to a room.
- Neaten up the exterior of refrigerator doors by removing or organizing notes, invitations, pictures, art, and magnets.
- Clean and organize cocktail and side tables by polishing their surfaces, removing clutter, and adding one or two display items for a simple and fresh look.
- Make all windows shine by cleaning both the interior and exterior to allow more natural light to enter the home.
- Swap artwork from other areas of the home to see whether it can bring a fresh perspective to an otherwise uninviting room.